Monday, January 14, 2013

Pinspiration: Bar fun!


It's safe to say that my husband, Seamus, and I are beer snobs. We both cringe at the sight of Bud Light. It's nothing personal, we just really appreciate artfully crafted brews.

When we moved to Wilmington, North Carolina a few years ago, we decided that we wanted to start a a collection of bottle caps from all of the great beers we were tasting. Wilmington was home to a few good bars and a great beer store where it went well beyond just Budweiser and Miller Light on tap.

It's been just a little over three years, and our collection of bottle caps has grown well into the hundreds, I'm sure, and we're still going. But what to do with them? We both wanted to find a way to show off our favorite caps.

Then I spotted this:


This clever idea gave me the inspiration (and extra boost) to start crackin' on my bar cart area and create these darling letters to hang above our bar.



The whole process was very easy! I didn't have directions to go by so I just went with my gut and tried to figure out exactly what would be most successful and of course, what would look the best!

Step One: Buy yourself some cute letters. Be sure they are on the large side and have enough space for you to work with. Bottle caps aren't that small, believe it or not! 


Step Two: Lay out the bottle caps and pick your favorites! This took some time considering we had lots of bottle caps and lots of repeats. 


Step Three: Place your bottle caps in their positions. This was the hardest part! Trying to make sure they fit perfectly was one heck of a task.



Step Four: Paint your letters. I chose black to make sure the letters really 'popped' and kept their defined shape.



Step Five: Commence hot gluing. It takes a steady hand and tons of patience! Don't rush, and don't burn those fingers!



Let the glue dry and hang your craft letters when finished. Bar letters complete!


Side note, if you're wondering where that chalkboard came from, that was a DIY project as well!

Spotted: this awesome chalkboard for a bar area...


Unfortunately, Monterey's weather wasn't forgiving the day I decided to use spray paint, so pictures just weren't happening. Trying to use spray paint, an iPhone and block the wind I'm afraid wasn't something this girl could handle. However, this process is incredibly easy and no step-by-step images necessary. If you're looking for a quick and easy way to make an adorable chalkboard, buy a picture frame, and spray the glass with Chalkboard Paint and poof! Chalkboard. I found my picture frame from Beverly's here in Monterey, and I love it. Just the look I was going for!

Stay crafty, my friends.




1 comment:

  1. I love this! It looks fantastic! Well done :-)

    Gina

    www.popcornandpandas.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete