Sunday, December 2, 2012

The "Realtor's Trick": Vanilla Extract Warmed in a Coffee Mug


"House smelling weird? Put two caps full of pure vanilla extract in a coffee cup then place it in the oven at 300 degrees for one hour. Within twenty minutes the whole house smells like heaven. It's actually a common realtor trick."

I don't know about you but when I read this my immediate thought was "AWESOME!!". No longer will I have to spend oodles on expensive candles, air fresheners, and plug-ins. A simple two cap-fulls, a little oven action and voila my house smells like Martha Stewart stopped by with a fresh baked pie. 

Being the good little student I once was, I followed directions and my experience went a lil' something like this...

Side Note: I used four cap-fulls of vanilla extract instead of the recommended two. Two cap-fulls barely covered the bottom of the mug so my thought was a little more can't hurt. 


The outcome...a dud! <Insert sad face here>. Twenty minutes in, I smelled nothing, nada, zilch unless I stuck my nose right up to the oven. Thirty minutes in, a VERY faint smell, and burnt vanilla extract on the bottom of my cute mug. 

Have you tried this nifty idea? Did you have a better experience? Any tips on how to improve? Help a sister out!


3 comments:

  1. Thanks for your post! I'm glad I read it before I ruined a mug! :) -AJ

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've always read it as two table spoons. Every cap is difference size.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for documenting this process! (You’re awesome 🤗). After reading I tried adding water to my vanilla in the mug. While my daughter asked if I had baked cookies, I was totally underwhelmed with the results. It didn’t permeate the house at all. Bust.

    ReplyDelete